Just for the New York Auto Show, Hyundai showcases the Kona Electric Crossover, based on an all-new CUV platform. The Kona electric is Hyundai’s first compact electric crossover for the U.S. market.
Kona Electric’s exterior styling features voluminous, aggressive body styling complemented by a low and wide stance for great looks and confident handling in a variety of urban and adventure-oriented driving environments. It joins Hyundai’s regular Kona, Tucson and Santa Fe in a full line-up of Hyundai crossovers.
The 2019 Kona Electric will be produced in Ulsan, Korea and available in the fourth quarter of 2018, with initial availability in California and eventually the other States.
2019 Kona Electric Highlights
- Compact electric CUV segment-leading 250-mile estimated range
- Bold, fresh design elements with extroverted color options
- LED headlight, taillight and daytime running light illumination signature
- High-efficiency 201 horsepower (150 kW), 291 lb.-ft. electric motor powertrain
- High-voltage 64 kWh lithium-ion battery
- Standard floating touchscreen with CarPlay/Android Auto capability
- Hyundai Smart Sense (HSS): Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist with Pedestrian Detection, Driver Attention Warning, Lane Keeping Assist,
Blind-Spot Collision Warning, Rear Cross-Traffic Collision-Avoidance Assist,
High Beam Assist.
- Premium technology availability: 8-inch Navigation System, Shift-by-wire center console drive controls with additional lower storage, Next generation Blue Link connected car system, Heads-up Display (with active pop-up display screen).
Rain-sensing Wipers, Qi Wireless-device charging.
In keeping with its modern design demeanor, a number of extroverted color variations allow buyers to further express themselves by choosing colors such as Phantom Black, Chalk White, Pulse Red, Ceramic Blue and Galactic Gray. When equipped without a sunroof, the Kona EV roof is finished with a color-contrasting white color scheme (black, gray and white exterior color choices only).
KONA Electric Crossover interior and powertrain
Interior-wise, the unique features of the exterior continue inside with a strong horizontal character line creating a wide and spacious feel. Even with its compact dimensions and low roof line, the Kona Electric delivers outstanding interior roominess, especially front headroom. The sleek and simple interior accentuates the modern and efficient exterior design.
The Kona Electric powertrain employs a high-efficiency 150 kW (201 horsepower) permanent-magnet synchronous electric motor supplied by a high-voltage 64 kWh lithium-ion battery. The motor develops 395 Nm (291 lb.-ft) of torque distributed to the front wheels through a 7.981 axle ratio. The powertrain inverter has a power density of 25.4 kVA per liter. The battery system is liquid-cooled and operates at 356 volts. Kona Electric offers Drive Mode Select, which allows the driver to customize dynamic responses, such as steering feel, transmission and overall powertrain responsiveness to their preferences, and to changing road or traffic conditions. Differentiated driving modes available include Normal, Eco and Sport.
The Kona Electric utilizes a Level-II on-board charging system capable of a 7.2 kW rate of charge for rapid recharging characteristics.