Hyundai updated the NEXO for their 2020 line up with more appealing comfort and convenience. Nexo showcases the growing eco-vehicle portfolio and marks Hyundai’s continued momentum with the industry’s most diverse SUV powertrain line up. The 2020 NEXO is available in Southern California at Keyes Hyundai in Van Nuys and Tustin Hyundai, and in Northern California at Capitol Hyundai in San Jose.
The update for 2020 Hyundai Nexo
- Newly-available cargo cover, front passenger window auto-up/down and rear privacy glass are now standard on Blue models
- New rain-sensing wipers standard on Limited model
Advanced Driver Assist Systems (ADAS)
NEXO offers a number of advanced driver assist systems, including:
- Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist (FCA)
- Driver Attention Warning (DAW)
- High Beam Assist (HBA)
- Lane Following Assist (LFA) – Automatically helps assist steering to help keep NEXO more precisely centred in its current lane of travel. LFA can help keep NEXO centred in its lane at speeds between zero and 90 miles per hour on both highways and city streets.
- Remote Smart Parking Assist (RSPA) – Autonomously park or retrieve itself from either a parallel or perpendicular parking space with or without a driver in the vehicle.
- Blind-spot View Monitor (BVM) – Projects the side views of NEXO in the centre cluster to the driver using cameras while changing lanes with the turn signal on.
- Surround-view Monitors (SVM) – monitor areas that cannot be seen by a traditional rear view mirror and create various exterior vehicle perspective views.
- Blind-spot Collision-Avoidance Assist and Rear Cross-Traffic Collision-Avoidance Assist – Help alert the NEXO driver of approaching vehicles in its intended path, whether changing lanes or when backing out of a parking spot. Blind-spot Collision-Avoidance may also provide steering correction assistance via mild braking to specific wheels when the turn signal is on and the system detects a vehicle in the blind spot area of the NEXO.
Outstanding Range, Power and Efficiency
The NEXO Blue model has an estimated driving range of 380 miles, and the Limited trim has an estimated range of 354 miles. NEXO Blue models have estimated MPGe of 65 city, 58 highway and 61 combined, while NEXO Limited models have an estimated MPGe of 59 city, 54 highway, and 57 combined.
In addition, NEXO refueling time can be achieved in as little as five minutes, allowing a consumer lifestyle very similar to a comparable gasoline-powered SUV in terms of range and refueling speed. NEXO hydrogen storage uses three separate hydrogen tanks in the rear of the vehicle. These are configured to maximize overall interior volume, especially in the rear cargo area, increasing it by 5.8 cubic feet over the Tucson Fuel Cell and allowing for a flatter load floor.
With 161 peak horsepower (120 kW) and 291 lb.-ft. of torque, acceleration and power have also increased to improve NEXO overall performance compared with Tucson fuel cell.
NEXO uses a number of ecological materials in its construction, including soybean-oil based polyurethane paint, bamboo-thread-based bio fabric, bio-plastic extracted from sugar cane and bio-carpet extracted from sugar cane. Bio-based materials were applied to 47 different parts and reduced CO2 emissions by 26 lbs. during the manufacturing process.
NEXO features a number of aerodynamic design features, including a D-pillar air tunnel, front wheel air curtains, aerodynamic wheel design, auto-flush door handles and hidden front wipers. These contribute to an overall Cd of 0.32, excellent for an SUV of this size.
Structure, Suspension and Handling
To achieve an ultra-rigid structure while maintaining a light weight, NEXO uses Advanced High Strength Steel (AHSS). AHSS also reduces cabin NVH and gives the suspension a rigid structure from which to precisely articulate body movements.
NEXO utilizes a fully-independent McPherson strut front and multi-link rear suspension for both sporty cornering feel and superior ride comfort. Steering uses a motor-driven system tuned for smoothness and responsiveness. Michelin® tires are fitted on both the 17-inch and 19-inch alloy wheels for excellent handling and good ride comfort.
Designed to handle extreme temperatures and environments, NEXO testing has proven that the vehicle is capable of starting after being subject to overnight temperatures of -20 degrees Fahrenheit. NEXO boasts cold-start capability within 30 seconds, an industry-leading benchmark, and the fuel cell system warms up quickly for maximum performance. The NEXO also has excellent cooling performance on steep grades with temperatures exceeding 120 degrees Fahrenheit.
Improvements in the air supply system, performance at high altitudes and refueling times, along with overall efficiency and fuel economy, put the NEXO in a class all its own. In addition, the NEXO has improved power density and durability comparable with gasoline-powered vehicles of a similar class.
Convenience and Audio
NEXO features a number of advanced comfort and convenience features, including a sunroof, electric parking brake, smart power tailgate, Qi wireless smartphone charging pad, Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto®, Text-to-Speech via Bluetooth®, heated and ventilated front seats and split-folding rear seats. For 2020, a newly-available cargo cover, front passenger window auto-up/down and rear privacy glass are now standard on Blue models. Audio and navigation display is via a large, high-resolution 12.3 inch touchscreen, while the center cluster supervision display is a full seven inches. Transmission control is via a push-button shift-by-wire design on a floating center-console bridge, freeing up valuable center console storage space directly below the control console.
NEXO features two available audio systems. The premium system is branded Krell®, and features a 440-watt, eight-channel premium amplifier, premium Krell speakers and a custom-developed live dynamic algorithm for superior audio performance.
The NEXO Blue Link remote-start function includes a Hyundai-first: remote heated and cooled seats. It also includes a hydrogen fuel station locator, real-time range, fuel level and a monthly vehicle health report with on-demand diagnostics of the hydrogen system. Blue Link services are complimentary for three years.
Trims and Color
NEXO is offered in two trim levels: Blue and Limited. The Limited model adds 19-inch alloy wheels, sunroof, power lift gate, rain-sensing wipers and remote smart parking assist. NEXO colors include white pearl, cocoon silver, copper metallic and dusk blue. Interior environments include stone gray and meteor blue and use a vegan-based leatherette seating surface