With all the hype building around the upcoming Maserati MC20 super sportscar, Maserati has finally put out the specification of the engine of the MC20. The new engine was desgin and developed in-house in it’s Modena HQ. This is to achieve the MC20’s “100% Made In Modena” philosophy.
The new power unit is a V90° architecture, with a 3-litre, 6-cylinder twin-turbo, and features a dry sump (a classic solution on super sportscars). It delivers 630CV at 7500rpm and 730 Nm of torque from 3000rpm with a specific power output of 210CV/litre.
For engine internal, the bore and stroke is measure in by 88mm and 82mm respectively. The engine also have a high compression ratio of 11:1.
There are a few Formula 1 derived technology made it into the new Maserati engine such as the innovative pre-chamber combustion system featuring twin-spark plugs. There are 3 main feature that makes this powerful.
The three main features of the engine are:
The pre-chamber: a combustion chamber is set between the central electrode and the traditional combustion chamber and connected by a series of specially-designed holes.
Lateral sparkplug: a traditional sparkplug acts as a support to ensure constant combustion when the engine is operating at a level that doesn’t need the pre-chamber to kick in.
Twin injection system – direct and indirect: linked to the fuel supply pressure at 350bar, the system reduces noise low down on the rev range, lowering emissions and improving consumption.
The new “Made in Modena” engine, a traditional 90° V6, has been taken to unheard of power and torque levels and will be used for the first time on the MC20 super sportscar. The MC20 will take Maserati back to the world of racing.
- Manufacturer Maserati
- Engine Architecture V6 90°
- Total displacement 3.0 l
- Bore / Stroke 88 x 82 mm
- Compression Ratio 11: 1
- Firing Order 1-6-3-4-2-5
- Max Power 630CV @ 7500 rpm
- Max Torque 730 Nm @ 3000 – 5500 rpm
- Engine Max Revs 8000 rpm
- Turbochargers Twin Side Turbo with electronic actuated Waste Gate
- Ignition System Twin Spark with passive prechamber
- Lubrication pump Fully variable oil pump
- Lubrication system Dry sump with scavenge pumps & external oil tank
- Fuel System PDI (Direct Injection 350bar + Port Injection 6bar)
- Valvetrain & Timing Double Over Head Camshaft with variable valve timing
- Engine Width 1000 mm
- Engine Height 650 mm
- Engine Length 600 mm
- Engine Mass (as per DIN GZ) <220 kg
- Emission Level EU6D/China 6B/Ulev 70